malaika

angel.
pinata1.jpgedit
Our first pinata was a success! I was inspired after seeing a friend's awesome turkey pinata and decided we could do that! I documented every step since I must say we were (ok I was) pretty proud it worked out. My formerly urban self is getting craftier by the minute and I must say to all those who are thinking "that looks too intimidating" (or am I the only one?) just try it! Really the mess is half the fun!! And we used only things we had around the house (newspaper, flour, water, a toliet paper tube, balloons, paint, ribbon, yarn, and bought some bags of candy to fill it.
christmas, pinata 026.jpgedit
We choose Angel if for no other reason then to finally convince Miss Annikah Joy it was an angel who came to announce to Mary that she would bear a son NOT a fairy as is oft mentioned in the retelling by aforementioned fairy loving girly-girl. What I did not account for was humidity here and that the pinata would take almost 48 hours to dry. Luckily we started it on Christmas Eve morning so by the 26th we were painting, decorating, and finally whacking away. Anni was a huge fan of the decorating part and I gave her complete creative license. Thus, our angel had a necklace, pink pieces of hair, a purple and blue robe, and lots of glitter. She said his smile is "a little silly cuz that is how God made him."
christmas, pinata 053.jpgedit
christmas, pinata 062.jpgedit
the watoto wadogo got first hit
christmas, pinata 068.jpgedit
christmas, pinata 072.jpgedit
christmas, pinata 076.jpgedit
then after 3 rounds and Mika breaking it open Jason could not resist taking his swing
christmas, pinata 081.jpgedit
and the best part...
pinata2.jpgedit
I think we stumbled on a new family tradition....

Comments

Erica said…
i LOVE these pictures of you guys bashing that darling angel to bits. looks like tons of fun. :)
Bibi Ronnie said…
Loved Anni's smile in first pic! Never thoughtful smashing an angel for Christmas, but it looked like a was a smashing idea. Poor angel with his God made smile. Too cute.
maycakes said…
Met your Mom and Dad as I obtained her GSP pup, "Little Big Man." She told me about your blog...beautiful pictures, wonderful narrative...
jkww said…
This sounds like a GREAT new tradition. Apparently my mom's side of the family used to do a pinata at Christmas time. I've seen the pictures of me in a green courduroy jumper whacking a pinata in my grandparents' basement, but I have no recollection :)

I'm so proud of your newfound craftiness! I never doubted you for a second!

Most popular posts