language acquisition & other things you can do while running amok

Yesterday I was sitting outside trying to study my language using Rosetta Stone (a really great software program to helps you learn language) and I was getting frustrated because I could not figure out why to make some words plural you add an M but to others you add W (this program is all immersion, no explanation and at that moment I wanted someone to tell me why). I decided to take a break and go back to it later as my brain was on overload. I went inside to check on some bread that was baking and as I am in the kitchen with Martha we hear knocks at the back door and Annikah saying "Hodi?" Her rafiki then laughed hysterically and they both start yelling "Hodi?" Hodi is what you say when you arrive at some one's home and are greeting them as well as asking to be welcomed in. Martha was very amused and we both said "Karibu" meaning "you are welcome." They wanted us to respond to their "Hodis" by opening the door and although way too many bugs were let in in the process (about 10 minutes of Hodi, Karibu) it was too cute to ignore.

It is pretty amazing to me that Annikah has only been here a few months but already, without being taught or studying anything, knows when to use certain phrases. Something that at times is so difficult and arduous for me is so simple and natural to her. She just listens, observes, and mimics. When she sees mosquitoes or flies she says "go away dudus" (dudus being the word for bugs). She also now dances whenever we say "ancheza ngoma" meaning to dance and I could not resist getting some video of Annikah and her rafiki Ungooray in action. This is pretty much what they do everyday, run amok around the house. Annikah is reminding me for the need to do more language learning just while hanging with my new rafikis.
Annikah & Ungooray pushing Zawadee (means gift in Kiswahili) in Anni's doll stroller,
not the safest thing in the world but I had to snap one quick pic before rescuing Zawadee

Warning: the following video is so darn cute it may cause uncontrollable smiling:

Comments

Unity said…
Your were right!! There was uncontrollable smiling at that fabulous video. She is getting so big & she seems rather happy to be making friends. It was good to hear your voice on the video as well--kudos on your language skills thus far.
Anonymous said…
She is too cute and looks like she's having a lot of fun. Your speaking sounds very authentic, great job!
Bibi Ronnie said…
All those curls!!!! Her dancing is sooo cute! She won't even be able to talk to us anymore. How easy it is for her to learn.
Laura S said…
That video is SUPER CUTE! It is so cool how she is learning everything around her. Your swahili sounds good to me, too!
Leah said…
How adorable and fun to watch! Thanks for your honesty too. What you said about how Annikah learns language reminds me of the child-like faith we're supposed to have. :) Just to imitate...no second-guessing.
Meghan Baird said…
wow! that is one stinkin' cute video!!
misskatiez said…
sooo cool!
Liz Delzell said…
It's so amazing to hear you speaking the language and seeing Annikah respond... you're offering her such an unique experience that will surely affect her worldview - it's so wonderful to see!!

Liz :)
Brooke said…
rox, I love this blog. I'm learning so much! keep the stories coming!

Most popular posts