African Fairy Princess Party....part one

Annikah Joy turns 4 next week! I am the parent of a 4 year old. That is pretty crazy since most days I still feel not old enough to be trusted with fire let alone children. But then I remember the aches in my back, the music always being too loud, and my well earned stretch marks and I know I am old. But I love watching our family grow and change. I am not much of a party planner as far as concepts but I do love to plan fun food, games, and most all include kids in every aspect of it. It is just so much fun to see them come up with, work on, and see the final product of their creative ideas.

Anni and I started discussions (or should I say negotiations) about what her party would be like about a month ago (as soon as she was aware it was quickly approaching). Since it is Ramadan she will not be able to have a big bash but we wanted to let her have small-ish gathering with some friends. We talked themes and colors but not in the "what should we go out and get?" but more like the "what do we have here?" Which actually is adventurous and fun. We hunted around the house and also dug into the stash of little odds and ends that people have sent that I keep stashed in a cupboard. Bibi also sent some party favors (light up rings, lollipop wands, make you own crowns, and necklaces) so Anni was super excited and those were on the must give out list. We did not want to do a repeat of last year's Disney Princess ShinDig (plus, thankfully she is cycling out of that a bit) but what to do? It still needs a girly flair. This is Annikah folks. We were stumped but a few weeks back she came to me one morning while I was working at the computer and announced "Mama, I know now. I want an African Fairy Princess Party that is pink." Well then.

I remembered Auntie Jorie had sent us this African version of 12 Dancing Princesses book that Anni loves and grabbed it off the shelf for inspiration. Anni was in and we started planning. She asked for a tea party (only with kool aid since "I don't like chai Mama!" and pink cupcakes outside on a mat and she wants everyone "to wear pretty fairy skirts like the Africans" (now, I have never seen an African wearing a fairy skirt but they do LOVE to dress up and I think that is what Anni meant). And so with those ideas we set forth on our quest to prepare an African Fairy Princess Party. That is pink.

I found this super easy almost no sew fairy skirt pattern online and used some odds and ends of fabric we had from making some of my all-you-can-eat local dresses longer (Ah, the quest to find ANYTHING long enough for my giant white self...story of my life). Plus, we some extra fundage from Bibi's bike fund so I whisked Anni away to the fabric dukas in town and let her pick out some tulle and one shiny blingy fabric. She was lovin' every minute of it and even asked the guy how much in Kiswahili. Plus, her cute little mug was a great help in bargaining since I told him we only had a certain amount of money and needed to get 5 yards. Plus, I also "suggested" we add purple to the color palette since I had some left over at the house. She was game.
anni and Evy, anni buying fabric in mjini 006.jpgedit
We got a great price (about 1-2 dollars per yard) grabbed some elastic and ribbon and headed home. Anni helped me measure and hold all the fabric while I cut enough strips to make 6 skirts.
burning skirts,basil,laundry 018.jpgedit
I then burned the edges of the shiny satin fabric (which a friend from South Africa showed me how to do with a TP roll and a candle!) which is absolutely fabulous because it will not fray and you do not need to sew it! Right now we have 4 of the 6 skirts completed for the girls and Anni is giddy.
tomatoes,fairy skirt, teaching computer to anni 019.jpgedit
Everyday she asks "how many more naps until my party?" Meaning how many more times she has to go to bed and wake up until she gets to don her fairy skirt, sip kool aid, and celebrate African Fairy Princess style. I figured we had to try hers on just to make sure it fit, right?
Eden Party, Anni's Skirt 168.jpgedit
more to come....

Comments

Gma Rho said…
Oh, such girly fun! I love the African princess idea, the fabulous skirts (I can see MANY hours of fun in the future with that!), and the PINK! Enjoy!
annalea said…
love it! the best african fairy princess party ever. and those skirts are awesome roxi. way to go.
Unknown said…
oh my gosh, how cute!!! good job with those skirts, rox!! darling!!
Cha Cha B said…
Oh, those skirts are so pretty. I saw your FB post so I had to come over here to see the end result. Gorgeous!
So nice doing my own blog and seeing yours in front of my face so I remember to check it. :)
misskatiez said…
african fairy princess party...i love it!!
jkww said…
Yay! love this party already. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics after the Big Day :)
Anonymous said…
I have not been on the computer for very long for the past month, my baby went to college, talk about old! My baby turns 19 on Saturday! I love those fairy skirts so much, do you think it would be a hit in Ryan's dorm? I do! Love, Aunt Karen
I would like to say that this blog really convinced me, you give me best information! Thanks, very good post.

Most popular posts