cooking lesson

baking, jamhuri,picnic in backyard 092.jpgedit
One of Jason's best friends here invited me for a cooking lesson at his neighbor's house last week. After stopping at the fish market to buy some of that morning's catch from the sweetest older fisherman we headed out with our newspaper wrapped fish, bought some coconuts, and gathered cooking utensils from the neighbors we started the epic cooking. It was a LONG lesson but I finally learned to make coconut bread.
collage1 copy.jpgedit
The ingredients are flour, yeast, coconut milk, coconut oil, and sesame seeds. Sounds easy but it is a lot of work! It is so delicious but after whacking (seriously NOT kneading- you hit it so hard) it for almost an hour I do not think I will be doing it much at home. My wussy Mzungu upper arms were sore after 10 minutes! Yep, I'll continue to buy it from my neighbor. We also made fresh fish curry, juice, and sliced some mangoes and enjoyed eating together. I am constantly humbled by the kindness of people and their willingness to teach and spend time with us.
collage2.jpgedit

Comments

Gma Rho said…
I can't believe you're actually squatting like they do ! I could NEVER do that while cooking!! Sounds yummy, though!
misskatiez said…
that all sounds amazing!!!
Unknown said…
its neat how they do all the cooking on the floor. Are you used to crouching or does it hurt the legs. If I tried to cook like that I'd get a major leg crap. :)
Thanks for sharing your life with us.

Most popular posts