here.

we are here, or should I say there- Nairobi, Kenya. I write this in a haze of dizziness, I am exhausted, excited, grateful.
Some stats: 4 flights, 1 missed flight, NO Lost luggage (miracle), 18 1/2 hours total in the air, 6 hours spent waiting in lines or security, 26 hours of layover time spent entertaining Annikah in various airports (yeah, we are tired), 3 bus rides, 1 taxi ride, 3 van rides, 6 short lived Anni meltdowns, 1 meltdown with some tears for me, and countless moments of being so proud of our little traveler. Considering Annikah has not had any real sleep for 3 days she was BEYOND ROCKSTAR! We also met our team members in Dar for lunch before catching our next flight, although we were rather zombie-like as we tried to chat it was awesome to finally meet them. They were great and took our excess luggage over to the island on the ferry. Anni made tons of new friends here already, the taxi stand guys were her favorite to flirt with at the Dar airport. She already feels comfortable saying hi to the locales, even surprising the immigration officer in Kenya with a sweet "jambo." I have been so grateful that the people have been soooo loving and warm to her, a lady at the restaurant we ate lunch at today held her and walked around with her for a few minutes so I could eat. Annikah seems to LOVE this adventure and was a trooper, we know this was a result of much prayer- thanks! Tomorrow we get to spend the day in Nairobi getting ready to travel to training and recover, hopefully I will write and post some pictures when I actually know what time it is, know what day it is, and have showered. Kwaheri!

Comments

Beck said…
Phew! I'm so glad you're on the continent! Anni IS an amazing kid. It's hard to do that as an adult - then as a kid in a diaper restricted to where you can roam. I'll have a margarita for you guys! Glad you're safe!
Anonymous said…
I was wondering if you would still be writing from Afica. Yay!!! You are. I'm glad you made it there safely, I was praying you would. Can't wait to here all about your life over there.

Elizabeth
Anonymous said…
I spelled Africa wrong~ So here it is corrected!
Elizabeth Again
Lola said…
I'm so glad you made it there safely...Joe and I have been thinking of you guys all weekend and have today as we were in IKEA said, "The Engstroms should be in Africa by now," so it is great to see your post. Can't wait to see photos!
Laura S said…
I am glad you made it there and all your stuff did too! What a rock star Anni was, I hope you have a great day of rest tomorrow and are ready to dive in to your new life!
Anonymous said…
Praise the Lord! You guys are tremendous warriors for God, following in Christ's foot steps. I pray for your protection and that your family's cup over flows with blessings. I am happy that things went as well as you could've hoped for. If you have need, share specific things that can be prayed for.

Much Love,
Sam
Stan and Jess said…
You've been in my thoughts and prayers all weekend and your dedication to the blog is amazing! I am so happy you are safe and have your luggage. You guys will do great! Let us know when we can send packages to you. Give Anni a squeeze.

Most popular posts