Zen-ness

So today I got a massage. The word does not at all do it justice. Maybe I shall call it a super-duper joy-inducing-lube-down!
My amazing girlfriends gave me a check to get a massage right after the marathon and you do the math it has now been about a month but at least I finally set the time aside. I have never had a massage and always felt like it would be a bit weird to bare it all and get rubbed down by some guy you hardly know named Zeke (ok, is it just me who thinks the guy would be named Zeke?) but it was actually one of the most relaxing hours of my life. The massage therapist played soft music and used this wonderfully herb-y smelling oil. I was quiet for an entire hour. Every muscle in my body was at peace and I thought I would melt through the table into a pool on the floor beneath. It was one of the most selfish hours I have had in a while and I needed it. After it was all done and I got dressed I blurted out that I felt like I should promise him my first born son or something for such a fabulous experience. Payment did not seem to be enough as I was a new woman. The best part was the walk home, enjoying the cool air hit my face and my still warm and jelly-like body grateful for every step I was taking. I do not appreciate my body enough, not just self image wise but also functionality-wise. I should be more amazed at God's creation. How everything functions together in harmony to allow me to walk, run, craft, write, snuggle, rest, caress, love. I sometimes only notice when something is not "working right" and forget to marvel at the creation that is my body. This ability to reflect is spiritual and I am grateful God engineered us to make the mind body connection.
I thought of this passage and I like this version in the Message:
We follow this sequence in Scripture: The First Adam received life, the Last Adam is a life-giving Spirit. Physical life comes first, then spiritual—a firm base shaped from the earth, a final completion coming out of heaven. The First Man was made out of earth, and people since then are earthy; the Second Man was made out of heaven, and people now can be heavenly. In the same way that we've worked from our earthy origins, let's embrace our heavenly ends.
1 Corinthians 15:49
I feel very Zen right now.
Ok, back to my reality of cleaning dried mac-n-cheese off the floor of the kitchen.

*special thanks for my Zen-like state to Kim, Beck, Laura, Andrea, and Sarah (who recommended the massage therapist. You ladies are awesome!

Comments

sarah said…
yay, rox! much deserved. glad it worked out and that you enjoyed it.

Most popular posts