new grooves & new moves

Miss A loves to dance, this is no surprise to those that have read this blog for over 2 days but since moving here she has been deprived of her ditties, jipped of her jingles, robbed of her rock-n-roll, and generally stripped of her songs. Her ability to bust a move whenever the spirit so inspired has been absent because we did not have a CD player or radio. We had good intentions of getting one but just had not found a good deal or made the time to scour tons of dukas in search of one that works. When we first arrived here there seemed to be portable ones everywhere so we thought we did not need to be in any rush to purchase one. We were wrong and we have learned; since this is an island things come in shipments on boats and once they are gone they are gone, everything....CD players, toasters, Snickers bars, you name it. They may reappear one day but no guarantees so if you see something you want it is better to get it right away (not very helpful to those trying to stay on a budget). We finally decided we needed to get one so we can hear Kiswahili more on the radio and so that Annikah can listen to her precious CD's (and stop begging us to play them on the computer) so we set out on a search. Jason and I went around in town and finally found a used one that although seemed a little beat up was in our price range. The Muuza Duka (shop keeper) tested for us and it seemed to work fine. After some negotiations that included that he had to throw in a power cable since we had no idea where to find one and no desire to begin another epic search for said needed item we agreed on a price. He was very kind and ran around to trade for a cable for us so we could seal the deal and even gave us a one week warranty. We took it home and Annikah was thrilled. She.....must....dance. Really she has no choice in the matter. Reminds me of back in the day when I would spend hours in my room listening to my tapes and coordinating routines with my little sister (add to my somewhat delusional self thinking one day they may be featured on Soul Train). Another dream never realized. Sigh. Back to Annikah, she cannot help herself and upon coming home from school or the market, waking up, or walking to her room she jumps up and down requesting "more songs Mama." Here is to hoping her little CD player-o-happiness outlasts the 1 week guarantee.

Comments

Sarah Hensley said…
Hi Roxanne-- I got your comments on my blog... I only posted one because I saw you had to retype your note 3 times. But anyway YES that movie was so awesome... and I'm so glad to hear that someone else thought so! I'm new to Blogger but am totally loving finding all these blogs... your life looks just amazing. WOW!
You have a cute family too!
Bibi Ronnie said…
Maybe we have another budding Illinette in the making. She could be Katy's child with her love of swimming and dancing. Auntie Katy will have to teach her some more moves in June. I love the little tent for Elmo. He should have danced with her.
Unknown said…
she is too cute for words!
mjune said…
This was so fun to watch! She has a lot of confidence and security in herself. I hope she keeps that. She is going to be a strong woman one day. Thanks for your comments and advice on my blog! I know I feel soooo much better when I am exercising consistently. I love the way I feel when I am done - but I haven't been able to enjoy the process of exercise - much as I've tried/prayed/tried to convince myself to like it. I know I will get on track - it's just a matter of time. I do appreciate your prayers.

I've been doing well. This new year has started off very well for me - I'm thankful to say. My quiet times have been consistent - a huge desire of mine that I neglected last year. My budget is going well, and I just seem to be more balanced overall. Prayer ministry is going well - I'm enjoying and incredibly thankful to be serving there. Let me know how I can be praying for you. Love, Mich
Anonymous said…
Well Grandma Ronnie already said everything I was thinking of writing but Anni is getting more adorable everyday and I can't wait to see the spunky personality that has developed since I last saw her. Its going to be so much fun that I'm not sure but I may be more excited for Zanzibar than my study tour in South Africa. haha what are lions and elephants up close compared to spending time dancing with Annikah! love from freezing cold Chambana!!
Gma Rho said…
Wow, she's our family's little Dancing Queen. I love seeing her little personality develop.

Most popular posts